The parliament of Crimea, a majority ethnic Russian region within Ukraine, decided Thursday to secede from the country and become part of Russia.
A popular vote to approve that decision or restore the 1992 Crimean Constitution, whereby the peninsula would remain an autonomous republic within Ukraine, is scheduled for March 16, according to a statement posted on the legislature’s website.
- Russia says Ukraine’s NATO membership impossible
- ‘NATO, OSCE not helping Ukraine diplomacy: Russia
- EU imposes asset freeze on Ukrainians
- NATO says reviewing cooperation agreements with Russia
- Kremlin TV Channel Anchor Resigns Over Crimean Crisis
- Ukraine: Propaganda Rules the News
- Ukraine: Washington’s Arrogance, Hubris, and Evil Have Set the Stage for War